BEFORE YOU TAKE THE ABORTION PILL IN Dover, OH
Get The Facts
MIFEPRISTONE (aka: MIFEPREX, MIFE, RU-486, THE ABORTION PILL)
The FDA approved regimen for Mifiprex (RU-486) is a two-visit process using two different drugs 1: (Misoprostol, the second medication used in this process can be taken at home and not in a medical facility.)
- Mifepristone is given orally during the first office visit. Mifepristone blocks progesterone from sustaining the pregnancy, thereby ending the life of the baby.
- Misoprostol tablets are taken at home 48 hours after the dose of Mifepristone is administered. They can either be taken orally or inserted vaginally. The misoprostol will cause contractions to expel the baby. This event can occur within a few hours or up to two weeks after taking misoprostol and does not take place at the medical facility. In addition to heavy bleeding, women often pass large clots, tissue and then the baby.
- A physical exam is necessary within 7-14 days later to ensure the abortion is complete and that there is no retained tissue or other immediate complications.
- An antibiotic may be offered to decrease the risk for infection. If you are not offered an antibiotic, please request one.
RISKS AND SIDE EFFECTS IN Dover, OH
- The abortion pill is NOT advised for women who have anemia, bleeding disorders, liver or kidney disease, seizure disorder, and acute inflammatory bowel disease, use an intrauterine device (IUD), or are unable to return for the follow-up visit.
- Cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, heavy bleeding, infection and in rare cases, death.
- In a small percentage of pregnancies (approximately 5-10%), the procedure is unsuccessful in terminating the pregnancy. This risk increases with the length of your pregnancy. 2
- If the procedure is unsuccessful, an additional surgical abortion procedure may be necessary to complete the termination.
- If you are considering a medical abortion, you should also read up on the many other side effects and risks of mifepristone and misoprostol.
If you have taken the first dose of the pill and are experiencing doubts about your abortion, it may be possible to reverse your abortion.3 Every hour since your first dose of the abortion pill matters, so it’s important to call the Abortion Reversal Hotline at 877-558-0333 or an OB provider as soon as possible.
Fetal Development Weeks 4-8
The following describes some of the developmental steps of the baby during the time frame when a woman is eligible for a medication abortion. 4
- All major systems and organs begin to form.
- The beginnings of the eyes and ears are developing.
- Tiny limb buds appear, which will develop into arms and legs.
- The heart is beating.
- All major body systems continue to develop and function, including the circulatory, nervous, digestive, and urinary systems.
- The eyes, nose, mouth, and ears are becoming more distinct.
- The embryo is in constant motion but cannot be felt by the mother.
Are you considering abortion? Are you unsure of your options? Here at Open Arms Pregnancy Center near Dover, OH we specialize in helping you through the process. Our onsite medical professionals will answer your questions in a caring and confidential way.
1 U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2016). Mifeprex Medication Guide. U.S. Department of Health. Retrieved from http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/UCM088643.pdf))
2Mifeprex Label (2016), Table 4.
3 Abortion Option Information adapted from:
The requirements for this vary from state to state. In Ohio, the law requires anyone under the age of 18 who is looking to obtain an abortion to have consent from a parent or legal guardian.
The final cost is dependent on multiple factors. Those factors being: how far along you are in your pregnancy, what type of abortion you have, your healthcare provider, and the clinic you go to. Ohio has a 24 hour waiting period, which requires all patients to come to the clinic at least twice. The cost of an abortion starts around $500 and increases as pregnancy progresses. In Ohio, health plans (including Medicare and Medicaid) can only cover abortion in cases of life endangerment, or in cases of rape or incest.
In Ohio, an abortion can be obtained up to 22 weeks after the last menstrual period. Any abortion beyond that, may only be performed under the condition that your life is in danger from the pregnancy or that you are dealing with severe physical health complications. In addition, an abortion pill is an option only for women who are no more than 10 weeks pregnant. After 10 weeks, the pill becomes illegal to use for abortion and surgical methods must be used.
If you don’t know how far along you are, Open Arms Pregnancy Center offers a free limited obstetrical ultrasound with proof of positive pregnancy. Call or stop in to get an appointment scheduled today.
Many women don’t know this, but the abortion pill is actually two pills, each with a different function. If you change your mind after taking the first pill and haven’t yet taken the second pill, call the Abortion Pill Reversal hotline 877-558-0333 right away. It may not be too late for you to save the pregnancy.
Receiving an ultrasound before you get an abortion is an important medical step and one of the most accurate ways to get essential information about your pregnancy. An ultrasound determines if you’re still pregnant, how far along you are, and the location of your pregnancy. This is the first step in discovering what pregnancy options you have as each abortion procedure is only available during certain points of your pregnancy. At Open Arms Pregnancy Center, we provide limited ultrasounds free of charge; call or text today to learn more.
Every person’s experience with abortion will differ. Most women experience bleeding and cramping, as well as other possible physical risks.
There is no universally accepted standard for how you should expect to feel after an abortion. In some cases, women can deal with feelings of depression, grief, guilt, and loss; this is commonly referred to as Post Abortion Stress Syndrome or PASS. If you are dealing with such feelings or just want someone to talk to about your experience with abortion, Open Arms provides post-abortion support at no cost. Call to schedule an appointment today.
*Open Arms Pregnancy Center offers accurate information about all pregnancy options; however, we do not offer or refer for abortion services.
ALL SERVICES ARE FREE AND CONFIDENTIAL
We provide hospital-grade pregnancy tests with immediate results.
We provide ultrasounds for women who have had a positive pregnancy test at our center.
We provide education about all of your pregnancy options with a trained Client Advocate.
We are here for you and can help you find the resources you may need.